Motherhood is a life force that makes you unstoppable.
Once experienced, you can tap into this power forever.
Our Scope of Work
As a practice providing homebirth services, we offer holistic midwifery care as your primary professional health care providers during pregnancy, labor, birth and the 6-week postpartum period. Our services follow the Midwives Model of Care; a fundamentally different approach to pregnancy and childbirth than contemporary obstetrics. The Midwives Model of Care is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life events and strives to provide evidence based information so that families can make informed decisions. Midwifery care is uniquely nurturing, hands-on, and comprehensive prenatal, newborn, and postpartum care and education.
What our clients are saying
“Althea is a God-send!"
My husband and I were planning a homebirth but when our precious daughter decided to make her entrance into this world 4 weeks early, our delivery location changed to the hospital. Althea was there with me throughout my labor. She encouraged me. She coached me. She controlled my feisty brother. She helped set a calm tone in my delivery room. She massaged my back through my nasty back-labor…talk about heavenly! When I was “pushing,” she leaned over and whispered in my ear how I could push more effectively. That was exactly what I needed. My family had never heard of doulas before and they still talk about how amazing Althea was and how everyone needs to have a doula. Althea is a God-send. I can’t imagine having another baby without Althea by my side. She is absolutely amazing, has a delightful personality, and anyone would be blessed to have her at their side.
– LINDSEY –
Midwifery is a practice that dates back to the earliest civilizations. Traditionally, midwives were older, female members of their communities who helped women during pregnancy, childbirth, and nursing. Although their roles and responsibilities have shifted a bit throughout history, midwives continue to provide women with the care they need throughout the child-bearing cycle. This includes assessing a woman’s fertility levels, monitoring their health throughout the pregnancy, and developing a birthing plan.
As your midwives, my role is to support and assist you during the pregnancy and childbirth process, educate you on your delivery options and seek to eliminate or minimize unnecessary interventions. This philosophy is represented by the Midwives Model of Care.The Midwives Model of Care is based on the belief that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes.
The Midwives Model of Care includes:
- “Monitoring the physical, psychological, and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- Minimizing technological interventions
Labor and Delivery
Homebirth may be an option for you if:
- You are having a healthy, low-risk pregnancy
- You want to avoid an episiotomy, cesarean section, epidural and other similar interventions
- You want a natural but supported birth
- You want to be free to move around, change positions, take a shower, and eat or drink freely during labor
- You want to enjoy the comforts of your home and familiar surroundings
Tender Gifts provides a unique postpartum experience; we offer two home visits within the first week of life and three additional visits at 2, 4 and 6 weeks. At these visits, we care for both mother and baby.
Tender Gifts Midwifery Loves Water Births
We want your birth to be everything you’ve dreamed of and more and are happy to support you in your water birth journey
Water birth is the process of giving birth in a tub or birthing pool of warm water. Some women choose to labor in the water but not birth in water. Other women choose to stay in the water for the birth as well. The theory behind water birth is that since the baby began life in the amniotic sac filled with warm fluid for nine months, birthing in a similar environment is gentler for the baby and less stressful for the mother.
Benefits of Water Birth
- The warm water is soothing, comforting and promotes relaxation
- Significant pain relief
- Decreases Adrenaline production, allowing better flow of Oxycontin and oxygen through the mother. This increases the blood supply to the mother’s uterus and produces more effective contractions
- Greater blood supply to the uterus sends more blood and oxygen to the placenta and baby
- Provides buoyancy enabling you to assume positions that are comfortable for labor/birth
- Reduces perineal trauma, reducing the chance of tearing
- Provides a gentle transition for the baby from the womb into the world